Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Topps Magic Quick Opinion or Brohm, Iglesias and Morris

I have to say I really like this years Topps Magic football set, it's a nice retro design and I would guess it's supposed to be the football equivalent of Heritage Baseball.

The base cards are nice looking and out of the box and I got most of the major rookies and a few nice mini rookies including a Dez Bryant black mini which I really like. The only major drawback is the autographs. I got 3 from the most common and most worthless group (the odds are 1:21 packs or something similar, but I beat the odds and got 3 from this group).

The first autograph I got was Brian Brohm. Brohm is awful, I think he might be the only player to turn the ball over on 2 (or was it 3?) consecutive plays to end his career as I can't imagine him getting picked up by another team.

Second autograph was of Jauquin Iglesias who appears to be a Minnesota Viking now, I had to check Wikipedia because I didn't think I had heard his name mentioned at all this year and I honestly didn't think he was still in the league.

Third auto was of Sammy Morris. Not the first auto of his I've ever pulled but I didn't think I'd still be pulling cards of his in 2010 let alone auto's. At least he played this year.

So all in all I like the set a lot but I think I'll wait for the box price to drop before I buy another box and make a run at the set. I'm sure the box price will given the rough autographs that the average buyer is likely to pull.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear from you again. It has been awhile...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been, thanks for still reading. Let me know if you want to trade again I have some Sox cards for you I think

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've actually seen a lot of these breaks, and it seems like there are some nice auto hits to be had. I think you just got unlucky in this case. When they give you 3 per box, it'd be nice to at least pull one good one, and that seems to be the norm, based on what I've seen on the boards.

    ReplyDelete