Wednesday, July 8, 2009

First Post

I generally dislike blogs (that's a great way to start the first post of a blog isn't it?), however recently I've recently started reading some great blogs about collecting sports cards, the hobby that I love and thought that it might be fun to add a few musings of my own on the subject.

I'll try and give some insight into players and sets that I like or that I think have potential to hold their value or increase in value in the future, what prospects I'm collecting and the like.

I'd also like to try and help new collectors as in the 20 odd years I've been collecting cards I've seen dealers and other collectors take advantage of newer collectors ignorance which along with overproduction in the early 90's was one of the things that almost killed the hobby.

One of the first things I remember about collecting cards is buying packs for about $.50 at Woolworth's in town, those are great memories. Being on summer vacation, riding my bike to the store and getting 4 packs of cards on a weeks allowance on a summer morning then rushing home to open them and pulling a Jim Kelly rookie card is one of my favorite memories from my childhood. That's the reason I love collecting cards.





Paying $100 (it booked for about $60 at the time) for a Shaq "Rejector" insert card from the local card shop owner only to have it drop in consistently until it became virtually worthless is one of the worst.




I hate when people take advantage of someone being a novice for their own gain and boy did the guy in my home town do that. If anyone else remembers "Chad's Grandslam Cards" from Hamburg, NY feel free to leave a comment, he's the reason I stopped collecting for years (thanks again for the Shaq rejector card Chad) . You only have to get ripped off a few times before you get totally turned off and want to stop collecting completely.

But that's enough negativity, I wouldn't have met two of my best friends if it wasn't for collecting cards and going to shows so I owe a lot to the hobby. It's given me years of enjoyment and lots of great memories which outweigh the negative by a ton. My card collection helped me put a down payment down on the house I live in and have owned for the past 2 years. It hurt to sell part of my collection off but it was necessary and it helped me find out what I really wanted to focus on. I've decided to focus on only my favorite players for the most part.

My first collecting love was Steve Yzerman, he still has a special place in my heart and my collection, his cards are one of the only things I kept when selling my original collection to buy my house. As I've gotten older I've really started to gravitate more towards baseball, the history of the game is unparalleled. My favorite baseball players are Ty Cobb, Al Kaline, Grady Sizemore and Roy Halladay.

As for football I collect only Buffalo Bills cards as I've been a Bills fan for as long as I can remember and also Chris Johnson because it's hard not to like him if you've ever seen him play (his mouth is a bit much, but as of now his play is overshadowing that, I hope it doesn't go the other way like it has with Chad Ochocinco).

I don't collect anything in basketball, since there's no local team here in Buffalo and hasn't been since the 70's I never really got into basketball.

Sorry for the long post, I'll try and keep it shorter going forward. I'll get a trade page up in the near future showing what I have available for trade.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment